A Phase 3, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group, Multicenter Study With an Open-Label Extension to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Ravulizumab in Patients With ALS
The purpose of the study is to assess the efficacy and safety of ravulizumab for the treatment of adult participants with ALS.
Disease:Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Familial ALS, Sporadic ALS
Study Type:Interventional Trial
Study Category:Drug Trial
Study Chair(s)/Principal Investigator(s):
Clinicaltrials.gov ID (11 digit #):NCT04248465
Coordinating Center Contact Information
Full Study Summary:
Study Sponsor:Alexion Pharmaceuticals
Estimated Study Start Date:03/30/2020
Estimated Study Completion Date:10/31/2024
Posting Last Modified Date:07/24/2020
Date Study Added to alsconsortium.org:02/03/2020
Time since Symptom Onset:<36 months
Time since Diagnosis:
Can participants use Riluzole?Yes
- A diagnosis of sporadic or familial ALS, defined by the El Escorial criteria (possible, laboratory-supported probable, probable, or definite ALS).
- ALS onset ≤ 36 months from Screening.
- Documented meningococcal vaccination not more than 3 years prior to, or at the time of, initiating study treatment.
- Upright slow vital capacity ≥ 65% predicted at Screening.
- If on riluzole, participant must be on a stable dose for 30 days; if on edaravone, participant must be on a stable dose for 60 days (2 cycles).
- Body weight ≥ 40 kilograms at Screening.
- Contraceptive use by men or women should be consistent with local regulations regarding the methods of contraception for those participating in clinical studies.
- History of Neisseria meningitidis infection.
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection (evidenced by HIV 1 or HIV 2 antibody titer).
- Dependence on invasive or non-invasive mechanical ventilation.
- Previously or currently treated with a complement inhibitor.
- Exposure to an investigational drug or device within 30 days of Screening or 5 half lives of the study drug, whichever is greater.
Site Contact Information
Neuromuscular Research Center and Clinic
Phoenix, Arizona 85028
University of South Florida
Tampa, Florida 33612
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, Massachusetts 02114
Las Vegas Clinic
Las Vegas, Nevada 89145
Austin Neuromuscular Center
Austin, Texas 78756
Nerve & Muscle Center of Texas
Houston, Texas 77030
Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B4